Advertisement

Who can attend meetings?

topic posted Sun, September 3, 2006 - 5:06 PM by  Kevin
Share/Save/Bookmark
Can my AA lady attend an Alanon meeting with me? I'm attending them for her. Unless they throw me out, I'll be going with her to some of her AA meetings, while she's here.
posted by:
Kevin
Houston
Advertisement
  • Re: Who can attend meetings?

Sun, September 3, 2006 - 6:08 PM
    ..traditionally, anyone is welcome at OPEN meetings of either fellowship. Families may find their fear of the unknown is diminished by personal contact with a fellowship. My home group in Seattle always opened meetings by including "helpful concepts"...one of which was "We do not come for another human being. We come to help ourselves.."
    ...but that's just my experience...

Mon, September 4, 2006 - 11:12 AM
    Anyone can attend OPEN meetings... I go to open AA meetings all the time, especially speaker meetings b/c I NEED to hear the other side share their experience, strength and hope. It helps me to understand the disease, and it helps me learn empathy and understanding for the alcoholics in my life. My other favorite meeting is a "Family Afterward" meeting here in Sunset Beach on Friday nights, where they have a 20 minute speaker from AA and Al-Anon, then open participation for all attendees present. Alateens, Al-Anons, AA's and addicts are all welcome. It's one of the most awesome meetings I've ever been to, and it's been a regular meeting for me since I came back to the program 3+ years ago.

Anyway, I digress. There are just as many different types of Al-Anon meetings as there are AA; open, sharing, speaker, book study, etc. You just have to check the local meeting directory to see what kinds of meetings are available to you. Usually, if a meeting is closed it will have a code or note indicating that. The only thing is that (and this will totally depend on the group conscious of course), but for the most part an Al-Anon cannot share in an AA meeting, nor can an AA share in an Al-Anon meeting.

And btw, the ONLY requirement for membership in Alanon is that we have a relative or friend whose drinking bothers us. I have yet to meet an alcoholic that doesn't have at least one other alcholic in their life (either a parent or sibling, or a former partner, etc.), and at the very least they generally qualify for Al-Anon by being bothered by their OWN drinking.

Best,

CherylR ~

Tue, September 5, 2006 - 6:25 AM
      ..what a great revelation! A quarter-century ago, I could have gone to Alanon to learn to live with MYSELF while I was still in denial about my disease...and maybe have started to learn to detach from my cd family..while learning to love myself unconditionally and accept same from others. I know MY head would have been too foggy to work the steps til sobering, but I really like the idea, the sentiment and I am SOOO grateful today I don't have to research this goofy WHATIF aaaanymore! Sheesh.....Off to work with me!

Recent topics in "Al Anon/Nar Anon Friends and Family"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
40 year old daughter addicted to heroin for 14 years Angela 1 September 12, 2012
Health is Wealth Unsubscribed 0 November 24, 2010
Please Read, & give advice! Ashlee 3 November 22, 2010